IBEW Local 1245’s Veterans’ Group was formed in November, 2013.
Our mission: “to be a a band of Union brothers and sisters – veterans who support each other and vets outside IBEW
Active and retired IBEW Local 1245 members have agreed to be a personal point of contact for co-workers and veterans in our communities as they transition from military service to civilian life. We support local veterans’ organizations and link veterans to support services, job training and employment opportunities one person at a time.
We have launched this website to provide streamlined, accessible information about jobs and services along with direct phone lines and personal emails to our committee members and, in some cases, to point people at major corporations.
We welcome your ideas and participation!
- First meeting of the IBEW 1245 Veterans Group
- First task: Identify and sign up IBEW 1245 who are veterans and interested in getting involved
- Second task: research what jobs and services already exist at IBEW 1245 employers, local organizations, and national organizations
- Create flyer that lists Veterans’ Group members’ name, military branch, employer, and personal contact number
- Design and build a Veterans Website
February & March, 2014
- IBEW 1245 apprentice Erick Varela — a graduate of the Power Pathways training program for vets at PGE & the IBEW 1245 Hiring Hall — meets with President Obama to press for more resources for Veterans’ training and job opportunities
- IBEW 1245 Redding Unit adopts motion to donate $500 ($250 from the Unit + $250 from the Local) to Veterans Resource Centers of America to support homeless vets and help veterans get jobs. Members pass the hat and raise an additional $500 to bring the total donation to $1,000.
- Eureka Winter Clothing Drive collects and donates 500 pounds of warm, clean clothes for homeless vets to Veterans for Peace and Veterans’ Resource Centers of America.
- IBEW 1245 veterans collect Suits and Ties for Vets pursuing Job Interviews
- Veterans Resource Centers of America present to the IBEW 1245 Veterans Group
- Met with PG&E CEO Tony Earley to discuss opportunities for veterans at PG&E
- Participated in Veterans Day Parades in Sacramento, Fresno and Shasta Lake